Sunday, May 27, 2012

Buying in Bulk

In case they see this, I will preface this post by saying that I love my mother and sister dearly.  They are both Costco members and I had the chance to go to Costco for the first time in my life Saturday.  I figured, I have been unemployed so i need to consider buying in bulk.  What was I thinking?

It was an interesting experience - a bit scary - but interesting.

Our journey began with a huge influx of Costco faithfuls pouring into the Costco near Castleton.  It was nearly 100 degrees out so it was very warm inside the Costco warehouse.  I spent much of my time in the fresh vegetable and fruit section which was a food freezer.  The temperature was just right for me.

I must admit that i have never seen some of the items sold at Costco.  Four pound boxes of Cheese Its, 2 pound containers of mustard.  I like mustard a lot but I don't really have anywhere to store 2 pounds of mustard.  Then there was the 48 rolls of toilet paper.  Imagine how many houses you could TP with that much toilet paper!

They had free food samples so I thought maybe I would be able to grab a quick lunch of food samples.  But the food samples were weird!!!  Black bean burgers!   Dill pickles!  Greek yogurt!  Humus!   Yuck, yuck, yuck, yuck!  Who eats this stuff?!?  (My sister - that's who and Kathy Sanders!).

Where were the pizza samples and chips/dip, pork chops, brownies, any real food?

I also visited the pharmacy section where you can buy bulk vitamins and medication.  I nearly got a 248 count tylenol but it wouldn't fit in my medicine cabinet.  I also wanted to get a 3 pound container of Fred Flintstone vitamins, (those things taste awesome) but wasn't sure if Fred Flintstone vitamins work for adults.

I settled on getting two toasters, an iron, 120 pack of dryer sheets, (I will never have to purchase these again!), water and gatorade. 

Mom - thanks for an experience I will never forget.  Unless Dave and I decide to adopt 12 or more children, I think I will just shop at regular grocery stores from now on - big containers of food, much like big people, scare me.

No comments:

Post a Comment